Friday, February 25, 2000

    I am starting to understand better the world xseño. The people here are kind and curious, they follow me with their eyes everywhere, but not so that I am intimidated. They have warmth in their eyes, like they are eager to learn and eager to share. I met Paula, maybe a type of leader here. They listen to her words and the small children run after her giggling and holding her hand. She has showed me around the world xseño, with patience. She smiles at my misunderstanding and laughs at perhaps my stupidity when I eye the flowers that shrink at my touch. She holds my hand gently near the flowers again with the type of patience I do not have and soon the flower warps around my finger- this world is something I cannot comprehend.
    Paula's hair runs long down her back, as all of the females do. They tie the front pieces of their hair back out of their faces, in all different ways, and let the rest fall loose. The woman are not very tall, but they seems so strong. They run up the hills and show me the ways to the rivers and the fresh water deposits worked into the mountain sides. Paula shows me where the perfect hojas live, leaves that are cupped and deep but sturdy enough so when I dip them en agua, la hoja holds the water perfectly so I may bring it to my lips and taste its sweetness.
        In the world xseño, it seems that all the duties are shared. They do not hunt el monstruo like we do, but pesca from the lakes, which there seems to be millions of. I look into the lake and I can count them, they are different size and different colors, they seem not shy nor annoying. They swim with the children, and when the people take them from the water, they put their hands on its skin and they say words quietly. Everyone eats together, and they all bring what they have found. They thank each other for their contributions and they are happy and full. They all have a cubby in which they sleep for the night, it is soft and my body sinks in when I close my eyes. The strangest part is that when I wake back up in my real world, I am no longer hungry, I am full and healthy. Mi madre worries when I do not eat here, and I just say that I am full, I am so very full.

Here is how those houses are designed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment