Saturday, February 19, 2000


           It is time you know more about this place. When I was young, mi abuela would tell me stories- I know much more than any other child today. These stories were forbidden to talk about before, but now they are simply a thing of the past. El revolucíon had started when she was only una pequeña chica, the streets were lit on fire. Brigh blaze and dark smoke, she gulped it down like water, unable to do any other way. When she got to her baby hermano's crib, he would not wake. Mi abuela got out alive, among only a few in the entire nation. Their used to be a thing called government that you could put your eyes on it. You could place it in a man, she said. But after that night, no one could place anything.
            The government came from somewhere afar. Today it dictates nothing but escape, it shows us the way to another world where fear is no such thing, and food is on your table every day- to think of such a place. Mi abuela told me of the stories, of how her people reformed, assigning jobs to each survivor, denying the outcasts. Mi abuela had to search for a group to live with, and almost no one would take her at such a short age, finally she was accepted after offering berries she had collected upon a deserted trail. That is how the new world formed, upon ashes of the past. Today we hunt for monstruo, the only thing we can find alive. El jefe has the most hunters, they take the most numbers of monstruo, and everyone else is left to fight for a few. Mi abuela and her people learned how to make batter from bark, crushing It and adding water, like we do today. In the morning mi madre crushes the bark that mi hermanas can find, it is very scarce, and sometimes we must trade, labor or clothing. There was a time when I was young, when mi madre had to trade a child, though she will not mention it ever again. That was the same time mi padre left.
            There are schools today, formed out of the good ones left, mi madre tells me. We go to school, and we learn of things like hunting, and numbers, and government, though no one understands, including las instructoras. School is where I lerned to mix chemicals, that is our favorite parts. Mi padre understood my love for ingredients and he was able to trade un monstruo he caught on a lucky break for a máquina. I was able to produce pills for strength, and pills that make you feel not so hungry. Mi madre hated these pills and thought I was denying fate its face. He told me that some day, I would learn to save my people, some day I would be key. But I never believed him. I never got excited or happy or innovative, I just kept with the way of things, and didn’t let a tear loose when he departed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment